Thursday, August 11, 2011

Of First Importance


One of these questions is not like the others. See if you can spot it.

1. Who did Cain murder?
2. What did Noah build?
3. What happened to Jonah when he ran from God?
4. Daniel was thrown into a pit with what species of animal?
5. How many plagues did God send to Egypt?
6. What is the name of the body of water that the children of Israel crossed as they exited Egypt?
7. Who was Jacob’s brother?
8. How many stones did David grab before he slew Goliath?
9. Name Samson’s girlfriend?
10. What happened to Job?
11. Name one of the twelve tribes of Israel?
12. What is the gospel?

Can you spot the one question that is of first importance? 
I’ll give you a hint: it’s towards the end of the list. 
Answer: Question #12 is the most important question on that list. Actually, it is the most important question on any list. 

May God have mercy on us as parents and leaders if our kids can answer any or all of questions 1 - 11, if they know all the details of certain Bible stories, but cannot answer question 12.

If we are teaching our kids anything - we should be teaching them the gospel.

I’m not saying that telling our kids those biblical stories is a bad thing, they are fantastic Spirit-inspired stories that should be shared (especially from a Christ-centered perspective - Luke 24:27); but if my son can tell me all about the animals found in Noah’s ark but can’t tell me what justification means, then I have failed as a disciple-making father.

For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures… 1 Cor. 15:3-4

1 comment:

  1. I was born and raised in a Baptist church and wasn't able to properly define justification until I was 20. The two I heard all the time were "Just if I had never sinned" and the better term "to be declared righteous". But I still couldn't define the second term, I didn't know what it meant to be 'declared righteous'. I had to read on my own to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete