Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What is Your Problem?

What is your problem? I mean, what is your real problem? Is it money issues, perhaps girlfriend or boyfriend struggles, or health concerns? Maybe insecurity, not having the right clothes, or malicious gossip that is being spread about you? Is the root of your issue unloving parents,  friends that have betrayed you, or a difficult marriage? 

You do have a problem. I do have a problem. The real problem, however - the big problem is this: we are sinners, we are by nature enemies of God, and we are, apart from God's grace, guilty in the eyes of the perfect judge. 

That is your big problem. That is my big problem. The problem is sin. The problem is our subsequent enmity with the Creator. The problem is that God is completely just and therefore that sin cannot go unpunished; it disgusts him. In short, all of us, from the rapist to the church lady, are in trouble. None can escape His judgement. No one is good enough to meet His standard.

Pastors often don't want to tell us that because you and I don't want to hear it. We'd rather hear 5 tips on how to have our best life now. But we need to hear it every day. I am telling you now because I have nothing to sell. I am not interested in your tithe. I don't need the pews filled. I don't have a horse in this race. I don't even know who you are. But, this is your issue. This is my issue. Nothing is more important or pressing. We are all guilty and we know it. 

Fortunately there is a gospel. Fortunately there is grace. Fortunately there is a solution to the problem - his name is Jesus. He succeeded where we fail, He resisted where we have succumbed, and He bore that sin and judgement so that we could be free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment