Sunday, July 10, 2011

I Am Astonished


O Lord, I am astonished at the difference
between my receivings and my deservings,
between the state that I am now in and my past gracelessness,
between the heaven I am bound for and the hell I merit.

Who made me to differ but you?
For I was no more ready to receive Christ than were others;
I could not have begun to love you had you not first loved me,
or been willing unless you had first made me so.

O that such a crown should fit the head of such a sinner!
such high advancement for such an unfruitful person!
such joys for so vile a rebel!

...Let your love draw me nearer to you,
wean me from sin, mortify me to this world,
and make me ready for my departure.
Secure me your grace as I sail across this stormy sea.

-Adapted from Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment