Monday, June 13, 2011

Identity Crisis


"The Puritans used to say that far too many Christians live beneath the level of their privileges. Therefore, I need to be told by those around me that every time I sin I’m momentarily suffering from an identity crisis: forgetting who I actually belong to, what I really want at my remade core, and all that is already mine in Christ. 

The only way to deal with remaining sin long-term is to develop a distaste for it in light of the glorious riches we already possess in Christ... Knowing this actually enlarges my heart for God and therefore shrinks my hunger for sin...

Christian growth, in other words, does not happen first by behaving better, but believing better–believing in bigger, deeper, brighter ways what Christ has already secured for sinners...The bottom line is this, Christian: because of Christ’s work on your behalf, God does not dwell on your sin the way you do. So, relax and rejoice…and you’ll actually start to get better. The irony, of course, is that it’s only when we stop obsessing over our own need to be holy and focus instead on the beauty of Christ’s holiness, that we actually become more holy!" Tullian Tchividjian 

No comments:

Post a Comment