Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Precious Blood


Blessed Lord Jesus,
Before your cross I kneel and see the heinousness of my sin,
my iniquity that caused you to be 'made a curse,'
the evil that excites the severity of divine wrath.

Show me the enormity of my guilt by the crown of thorns,
the pierced hands and feet,
the bruised body,
the dying cries.

Your blood is the blood of incarnate God,
its worth is infinite, its value beyond thought.
Infinite must be the evil and guilt that demands such a price...

Sinner that I am, why should the sun give me light,
the air supply breath,
the earth bear my tread,
its creatures subserve my ends?

Yet your compassions yearn over me,
your heart hastens to my rescue,
your love endured my curse,
your mercy bore my deserved stripes.

-Adapted from Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment