Monday, May 16, 2011

God's Sovereignty and the Valley of Death

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. -Psalms 23:4

Do you ever have those valley of death moments, days, or even years? Is your stomach ever so sick that you need to vomit, yet you can't? Nothing will come out because it is a soul sickness, not a sickness due to poor health. Do you ever question how you will make it through the day? I have those moments, I feel that sickness, and I ask those questions.

Sometimes, the only thing that I have to cling to is God.
My life occasionally feels like it is crashing down all around me.
At times, the metaphorical weight of the world is on my shoulders - and I am standing on broken ankles.
I know that I am not alone in this.
I am fairly confident that if you are old enough to read this, you can relate.
You see, to suffer is human, and to feel pain is human. 
We have good days, but we also have bad ones.
This is our existence, this is our reality, this is life in a broken world.

Fortunately, we as Christians have a refuge. We have God.
Honestly, I am not sure how unbelievers make it. 
Where do they turn to in their moments of despair? 
If I am being brutally honest, I wonder how my Christian friends who refuse to believe in God's absolute sovereignty survive.
They cling to their man-centered theology and their "free will" as if those ideas are something precious.
They simply do not know the comfort that they are missing.
They are living their lives never experiencing the great solace found in knowing that God is fully in control.

Personally, my soul is comforted understanding that all things will work out according to his will - even the painful things.
Truly, he is calling the shots.
He has a plan.
Why would anyone want it any other way?
Why would any follower of Christ run from a theology that tries to bestow upon God the maximum amount of supremacy?
Without a God who is sovereign, passages like Romans 8:28 lose their significance and beauty.

At the end of the day, whether you or I want to believe it or not, God is fully in control. 
His is totally sovereign over all things.
His will will be accomplished. 
He will not fail in his mission.
All things will work together for his good. 

Be blessed my friends, and hang in there.
May you find comfort in his unparalleled supremacy. 

For more on this topic, check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment