Monday, January 28, 2013

Book Recommendation: Delighting in the Trinity by Michael Reeves

This weekend I finished a fantastic little book entitled Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith by Michael Reeves.

I read it based on a glowing review from Tim Challies, and I am glad that I did. Reeves has opened my eyes to the inherent love of God. The Tri-unity of God really does teach us quite a bit about his character and love.

Here is a good word from Reeves concerning this Trinitarian love:

"...The shape of the Father-Son relationship (the headship) begins a gracious cascade, like a waterfall of love: as the Father is the lover and the head of the Son, so the Son goes out to be the lover and the head of the church. “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you,” the Son says (Jn 15:9). 

And therein lies the very goodness of the gospel; as the Father is the lover and the Son the beloved, so Christ becomes the lover and the church the beloved. That means that Christ loves the church first and foremost: his love is not a response, given only when the church loves him; his love comes first, and we only love him because he first loved us (1 Jn 4:19)."

No comments:

Post a Comment